Monday, July 11, 2011

...convênio santo e leal fazemos com o Rei.... (... holy covenant and loyal to the King do ...)

Olá!

My dear mother, if you could place the quote about church in with this email, that would be wonderful, because one of our biggest problems here is getting people to come to church, and this week it was really difficult for me.  We worked so hard, and I think it was our best week in terms of lessons given and people found, but the entire week builds up to sacrament meeting, and when no one comes to sacrament meeting, the work of the past week is almost not important.  This is the second week in a row where we have only had 1 investigator in Sacrament meeting.  Having one is great, but not when we have 15 investigators.  That, coupled with the fact that I am still sick after 3 weeks, led to a little bit of a break down.  Thankfully, I have been really blessed with a wonderful companion, friends in the ward and really great Zone Leaders, all of whom gave me really great advice and encouragement.  I truly am a very blessed missionary.

That being said, our Zone has a goal of 44 baptisms this month, and the Zone Leaders have given us different goals for each week of the month starting this week.  So, our goal this week is to have the best numbers in the mission, or ´GH da Justiça´  I am not sure how to explain this in english exactly, but GH means ´glória do homen´, I think, which is bascially ´the worlds greatest´ and I know all about that =]  Elder Fernandes is still here, but we have a new ZL, too, Elder de Campos, and the first thing out of his mouth is always ´Oi! Esta feliz?!´  It has helped a lot this week.  Us sisters have also seen a lot of the ZLs this week because of our various probelms with our apartment and our landlord (who is a lovely little old lady who is just a little crazy, I think).  They have been over almost every day this week talking to her and trying to figure out our water issues.
(They also have a request for reices pieces, gummy worms, swedish fish, 2 pairs of basketball shorts (which they dont have in Brazil) and 2 Journals (like the first Journal Emma got, blue, hard covered).  They would like to know how much these things are so that when you send them they can pay you back =]  Thats my ZLs =] )

I continue to have problems with being beautiful. Had a man tell me that I look like the queen of Europe.  I think he meant England, and I think he meant it as a compliment, but considering how old Queen Elizabeth is, I am not so sure it was.

We also taught a family this past week, and when we explained about the Book of Mormon the wife got really excited and asked if she could buy it.  She was really sad when we said no, but we made her happy by giving it to her for free.

As Im sure youve noticed, you have pictures thanks to Sister Freitas.  I dont know which is which, but the one with the most people is my zone, the other is my district (me, Fernandes, Terxaira?, Vitelli, Freitas and Andrezzo in front), and the other is Sister Freitas and I.

Love you!
Até mais -

Sister Petersen

Here is the quote about the Sabbath Erin wanted me to include: 
Elder Mark E Petersen said,  "We can readily see that observance of the Sabbath is an indication of the depth of our conversion. 
"Our observance or nonobservance of the Sabbath is an unerring measure of our attitude toward the Lord personally and toward his suffering in Gethsemane, his death on the cross, and his resurrection from the dead.  It is a sign of whether we are Christians in very deed, or whether our conversion is so shallow that commemoration of his atoning sacrifice means little or nothing to us"

                                                                                        Sister Petersen & Sister Freitas

                                                                                             Erin's District

                                                                                          Erin's Zone

No comments:

Post a Comment