Monday, May 23, 2011

I Am in Another World

Ok, I dont have a ton of time, and this keyboard is weird.  BUT! I am here.

Ok! Wow.  So much...

First off, my companion is Sister Freitas - shes from Natal, Brazil and speaks no english.  Neither does anyone else here in Itabuna.  And - it gets better - I lost my dictionary on the way over here =]  Its been an interesting couple of days, thats for sure!  The first day when I arrived our plane was delayed for 2 hours, so we had dinner with President Vecchi - whom I really like - and then Sister Freitas and I had a 7 hour bus trip here.  We got here around 6am.  It was a long day of traveling.  Thankfully we were able to sleep for a few hours after we got here, because I really needed it.  I'm really trying to understand the people, but I only get maybe 1/10 of everything they say.  But everyone sounds impressed when they hear Ive only been here for 4 days.  I hope they're still impressed after Ive been here for a month or so.  The people here are so nice and very helpful all the time.  We've taught a lot of kids, and all of them love to talk to me and ask me to speak in english, and I dont remember the word in portugues, but a rough translation of what some of them call me is doll, I do believe.  Again, its a little difficult to understand and make sure that I'm understanding correctly.  But Mom, you'll be happy to know I already have a step-in mom while im here.  Her name is Cleonice and she is a recent convert, maybe of a couple months or so and she is so great.  Her grandaughter lives with her, Andrea, and shes 8 and so much fun.

We also have 3 baptisms lined up for this week - Nayellen, Bruno and Emily, 10, 11, and 8 respectively.  Sorry, my mind is still a jumble from the last few days.  I think I haven't quite processed some things that have happened and now writing about it... this world is so big, and there are so many people in it that live in circumstances that I knew existed, but it wasn't really real until I came here.  I realize more and more each day how much everyone needs the gospel, how much it can help everyone, and I want to share it.  I'm not really scared of contacting, but I don't like not being able to convey what I want to say, and so I'm probably a little more timid than I should be.  But Sister Freitas is wonderful at reminding me that I need to be more active in doing this work, and its true.

Megan would love it here; there are cats EVERYWHERE.  Dogs too, but many more cats.  Its kinda crazy.  Its also rained every day since I've arrived and everyone here is freezing, which I guess I can understand considering that I wore my sweatshirt to bed last night because I was cold.  I'm really considering it a blessing that I came here in the winter, though, because it is still pretty warm, and oh so humid.
I've already taught about 20 lessons, but I can't think of anything specific right now to tell you more about - sorry.

I will write a better letter next week, I promise.

I love you all!

Sister Petersen

No comments:

Post a Comment